Hey kids! Let’s go on a fun scavenger hunt to learn more about Darleen and her books. Write your answers on a separate piece of paper.Ready? Set? Go!
1. DBB was born on January 24, 1961, in a state that begins with a ‘P’ and ends in an ‘A’. The first part of this state sounds like something you use every day in school. To find out, click here and look next to the photo of her house. 2. Are you related to anyone famous? DBB is. She’s eighth-cousin to one of our past U.S. presidents. To find out which president, click here then read the introduction that is called ‘Silly-but-True Bio.’ 3. Do you have any pets? Click here to find out what kind of pets DBB had when she was growing up. Write down at least two of her pets. 4. Have you ever had someone take something that was yours and it made you really, really mad? DBB did. Click here to watch a video that tells what someone took that belonged to DBB.
5. When DBB visits schools, she meets a lot of kids who want to be writers when they grow up. Click here to read tips for kids who want to write and then write down two of the tips.
Way to go! You’re half-way through!
6. Do you have any brothers or sisters? DBB has one sister who is five years older. Click here to find out what her sister’s name is and what she used to say to DBB.
7. Does your brother or sister pick on you? DBB’s sister did. Click here to find out what ornery thing her sister used to do to her. Yuck! (Hint--It’s listed next to the photo of DBB’s children at the top of the page.)
8. When DBB visits schools, she sees all sorts of fun activities that kids have done with her books. Click here to learn of the fun activities YOU can do with her books. Write down two activities that you would like to do.
9. What’s your favorite ice cream? Favorite candy? Click here to find out DBB’s favorites. 10. What is your favorite subject in school? Click here to find out what was DBB’s favorite subject. (Hint--It’s near the bottom of the page.)
11. DBB has advice to offer for kids who want to be better writers. Click here to read her advice. Write down one piece of her advice.
Congratulations! You’ve finished the scavenger hunt!